Friday, May 4, 2012

A pre-introduction to Corinne

Though I was very close to my grandmother Genevieve, this whole project may not have gotten off the ground if not for her first cousin Corinne, who passed away last summer a few days shy of her 99th birthday. A proper introduction to Corinne is coming shortly, but in the meantime, I think this newspaper profile from the Manitowoc Herald Times Reporter dated Feb. 22, 2009 (when Corinne was 96) does a nice job of introducing you to this remarkable woman. My favorite line? "I like that 'Seinfeld' late at night."


Corinne Tetzlaff
Age: 96
Birthdate: June 7, 1912
Residence: Manitowoc
Hometown: Elkhorn

Do you have a favorite time period from your life? "Of course, when I got married was probably the outstanding year because we had such fun."

Since you lived through the Great Depression, do you have any advice for people in our current economic situation? "You have to save. You have to be careful how you spend money. I am much more saving than the younger people, I guess."

What are some of the changes you've seen in Manitowoc? "Downtown, of course, is different than it used to be. All the big stores are gone."

What do you watch on TV? I turn on the 5 o'clock news. I like that 'Seinfeld' late at night. Those fellows, they remind me of the crowd we knew in Fond du Lac."

Do you feel 96? "Well, I don't think so. Except for walking, I can get along pretty good."

Do you want to live past 100? "I don't think I want to really because I have aches and pains in my back and leg, and my friends are gone. Everybody my age is gone."

No comments:

Post a Comment